Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Science Teacher's Dream Part I

Finally.... could it be that I could get this close to the Trinity Site!   To my science hero, Robert O?  The that time period when the US could put together the most massive weapon of destruction ever created?  Yep.... (of course...still no cure for the common cold and resistant bacteria are winning the war in our sinuses and lungs)  but.... I digress.

First, there was our visit to the MacDonald Observatory just north of Alpine, TX where we parked the rig.  This is a nice observatory.  The ride up was awesome views and a trip past a huge dude ranch.  Could barely keep from pulling over and renting a horse for the rest of the trip.  We did have to visit in the day and not stay for the night star party on the patio (using all the smaller telescopes and lead by a resident astronomer.  Had to get back for the pups..the hardships of motherhood!   We took a short walking tour and listened to an understandable presentation on our solar system and near by constellations.  I finally was starting to understand,  "When the moon is in the 7th house...and Jupiter aligns with Mars."  (and peace will rule the planet, and love will steer the stars!"  Wish I had seen this demonstration (with people acting out the roll of earth, Jupiter, etc.) when I was teaching science.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment