Friday, November 25, 2011

Corpus Christi

We arrive at Sea Breeze RV park in Corpus Christi and Dale leaps from the RV to set  up the dish while I set out to check out the world's largest Canadian geese.  They were huge, they never moved either.  Decoys!   The park advertised wildlife but 90% of the birds on the water were decoys.  The live ones were still winging their way from Michigan down to TX to join us.
 

Just north of us was the aircraft carrier, the USS Lexington so off we went to explore

On board there are many hands on activities that I tried, such as landing a plane on an aircraft carrier.  I dropped mine in the ocean 5 times so be glad I am not guarding our country.
USS Lexington


My boating experience helped in my captain duties! This is a piece of cake...where are all those ropy things you have to pull on a sailboat?

Cindy watching for enemy aircraft.

You may have to zoom up a little but there's a lot of work in this picture and all of it was knot hard to do!




Now where's that bowline knot???


After the USS Lexington, we moved across the street to the Texas State Aquarium.  I volunteered to be part of the hawk show and had one of them rush from the side of the pavilion and fly within inches of my head.  I could feel his feathers on my head and was glad he had already made his trip to the bathroom that morning.   Dale was also very eager to be part of the show....not..... but he did get a few laughs from my lack of a performance.  Here's the pic I caught of the hawk going back to the trainer.
Note the thick leather glove which I was NOT wearing when I was on stage.   Hmmmmm????

Took this pic for my friend Margaret.  She's a shark lover.
This one is more my size.


 This spoonbill was at the aquarium, but we also had one at the RV park.
My favorite part was watching these dolphins play with floating toys, swim on their backs, jump and generally have a good time.  Still, I would rather see them in the ocean where they belong.
 We were able to pet these guys and were surprised at how gentle they are.  I think they were wrongly charged in the death of that crocodile guy.
You could pet the sting rays, but couldn't drive them!






Dale making new friends.
Looking south on Padre Island by Corpus C.

Here's Dale enjoying petting the sting rays.

We drove on to north Padre Island. (and I mean ON the beach.)   As you can see from the pic, this beach is very crowded.



After some driving around exploring (found a pet store and a Kohls!), we started our drive to the King Ranch in Kingsville, TX.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm finally getting around to viewing your updates. You are getting to be quite the travelers! Looking forward to pics of your current location. Remember - you have friends in FL if you decide to come east!

    ReplyDelete